We are excited to announce that the annual Junior Individual Public Speaking Championships is scheduled to be a remote event on 1 May (Saturday). Please read on for further details of the format and registration logistics.
As in past years, there are three compulsory categories, namely Persuasive Speaking, Interpretive Reading and Impromptu Speaking. Persuasive Speaking and Interpretive Reading will be done and submitted as taped videos uploaded — as unlisted videos — onto YouTube from 16 to 18 April 2021 (Sunday), whereas the last category will be conducted live on Zoom on 1 May, 2021 (Saturday). Please refer to the attached pamphlet for the exact time limits of each category. More details about the video submission process and a technical guide will be released in due course.
Each school can enroll six junior students maximum. Students up to current Secondary 3/ Year 10/Grade 9 are eligible for Junior competitions. Each school is also expected to supply one adjudicator for every three nominated students (in other words, two adjudicators for sending six students) to judge the taped videos and the live impromptu rounds. More guidelines on the judging criteria and approaches will be sent out after the registration period ends. A registration fee of HKD50 per student is applicable to facilitate the running of the tournament.
Please fill in the Google Form by 2 April, 2021 (Friday) for registration.
The important dates are as follows.
- 2 April 2021 (Fri): Registration deadline
- 16-18 April: Submission of taped videos of Persuasive Speaking and Interpretive Reading on YouTube
- 21 April – 28 April: Judging period
- 28 April (Wed): Return of the ballots from judges through google form
- 1 May (Sat): Live Impromptu Speaking preliminary rounds + Finals
The following is the tentative schedule of the competition day on 1 May (Saturday).
- 9:00 – 9:30 – Registration
- 9:30 – 11:00 – Live Impromptu Speaking Preliminary Rounds on Zoom
- 11:00 – 11:30 – Break
- 11:30 – 14:00 – Finals (Top three in all three categories will perform live)
- 14:00 – 15:00 – Announcement of Results
Thank you for your attention. We highly look forward to your participation so we can continue to nurture young public speaking talent in Hong Kong.
Coaches for WIDPSC Team Hong Kong